This CD marks the first time that Igor Stravinsky’s own pianola version of his famous composition Les Noces has been released commercially. In addition, Rex Lawson’s ingenious arrangements of well-known classics, including Sergei Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Handel’s “Arrival of the Queen of Sheba” from Solomon, and the ballet Pineapple Poll by Sir Arthur Sullivan.
This disc is no mere novelty, and having this rare recording of Stravinsky’s own arrangement of Les Noces for pianola is something all serious collectors should consider. Dominy Clements, Music-Web International
Read the complete review.
…disregard everything you’ve heard in recent years – pro and contra – about reproducing pianos: this is something quite different – not ready-made performances by an identified artist, but rolls for pianolas (i.e. a foot-pedalled player-piano) directly transcribed from the scores and interpreted by a virtuoso. Lionel Salter, Gramophone Magazine
1. Igor Stravinsky: Les Noces (Свадебка) (arr. Stravinsky) (23:47)
2. Witold Lutoslawski: Variations on a Theme of Paganini (arr. Lawson) (5:37)
3. Sergei Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (arr. Lawson (21:21)
4. George Frideric Handel: from Solomon, “Arrival of the Queen of Sheba” (arr. Lawson) (3:01)
5. Charles-Marie Widor: Symphony No. 5 for Organ (excerpt: Toccata, arr. Lawson) (5:11)
Sir Arthur Sullivan, arr. Sir Charles Mackerras: Pineapple Poll (arr. Lawson):
6. Overture (3:28)
7. Belaye’s Solo (1:47)
8. Reconciliation (4:09)
9. Finale (3:14)
Total Time: 71:35